The internet has evolved to an age where large quantities of contents or information are sent daily via internet platforms. Information like credit card details and other sensitive items are being pushed around the internet. This, in the long run, will make you susceptible to online perils. For devices like the Chromebook, the use of the internet is inevitable, as it uses chrome browser for performing laptop-like tasks like watching videos, word processing, and web surfing. The fact that you need a continuous internet connection to perform the above tasks on your Chromebook makes you susceptible to online monitoring and phishing.
However, you can protect your online activities on Chromebook by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). VPN safeguards your online activities from internet providers, hackers, and even the Government. The best part is the use of a VPN also allows unlimited access to geographically blocked sites. In this article, the top best five VPN networks for Chromebook will be reviewed.
Best 5 Chromebook VPNs
1. Express VPN
You never know who virtually monitors your online activities – that’s why you need the help of ExpressVPN. This VPN is fast and secure in the market today, and it stands out of the competition with the distinct features offered. The ExpressVPN has an extensive global sever distribution has it comes with 3000 severs spread across 160 cities in 94 countries. It also delivers superb support for Chromebook. It has well accessible customer support made through a 24/7 live support chat.
ExpressVPN is best used for the secure streaming of media or saving information to cloud. It gives the offers Android App That works well on the latest versions of ChromeOS. When it comes to subscription, it starts with a billing of $12.95 per month which is quite expensive but worth the value since it provides wide server distribution. Payment is made through common means like Web money, PayPal. It allows bitcoin payments for anonymity. It comes no stringent logging policy. Lastly, the VPN offers 5 concurrent device connections using just a single Username.
The ExpressVPN is regarded as the best VPN on this list as they provide an overall excellent connection speed and a wide-range coverage/ bandwidth, making it quite easy to protect your Chromebook.
- Allows payment Anonymity with bitcoins.
- server location is wide
- It can protect up to 3 devices at an instance.
- It features fast access connection speeds.
- Security and privacy protection is top-notch
- Customer support is excellent
- It comes with no Logging policy.
- Offers Chrome extension and Android App
- It comes at an expensive price.
2. Nord VPN
The NordVPN rules the market with its vast level of service delivered at a low price. Its basic plan starts around $3.99/month for a 2-year plan. It also comes with a 5200 wide server distribution across 60 countries. The provider offers fast and encrypted connections and yet does not restrict you with data caps and bandwidth limitations.
Furthermore, the VPN provider makes the chrome browser extension and Android App. However, the snag here is that the Android App has no Kill-switch protection. NordVPN also lacks a manual configuration option.
As a reliable VPN provider, the NordVPN provides email support, search knowledge base, and 24/7 live chat. Trust your privacy and security protection to be well covered when connected to the NordVPN with its no-logs policy and bitcoin payment option. It offers six simultaneous connections per license.
NordVPN is the best budget-friendly VPN provider that gives you the best security and privacy without the need to break a bank. The delivery of a fast and reliable connection also adds an extra value to its low price tag. Average customer support and a 30-day money-back guaranty make it quite reliable.
- Top-notch security and online privacy.
- About six devices connectivity is supported
- Features very fast speeds.
- A good price offer.
- Available in both Google chrome extension and Android App.
- It comes at a reasonable price for its value.
- No Kill-switch protection.
- The Open VPN configuration isn’t user-friendly.
- Most of the servers do not support torrenting
The CyberGhost is a fast server VPN providing basic horsepower speeds for your Chromebook activities. It is indeed one of the best VPN for torrenting and streaming media with Chromebook. CyberGhost is well-encrypted and supports all major protocols, including the out of date L2TP protocol. It forces HTTPs to server sites for the secure transmission of data files over a network. CyberGhost comes with encryption offer up to 256-bit. It supports concurrent connections up to 7 devices with just a single license.
When it comes to its basic plan, it starts with a billing of $3.50 per month for two years. With the use of CyberGhost there is no strict logs policy, and bitcoin payment keeps you on the privacy grid. Besides, the VPN also provides instructions on how the L2TP connection can be set up manually. Like many other VPN on the list, Cyber Ghost has over 3,700 servers distributed in 60 countries, making it suitable for use in accessing Geo-blocked websites.
CyberGhost is the best VPN to use for users who love to stream media (videos and music) on their Chromebook. They offer the best feature of security and privacy protection to free you from exposure. It comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee giving you a risk-free proposition.
- Security encryption and protocols.
- CyberGhost allows multi-device support up to 7 concurrent connections.
- Privacy protection is industry-standard
- Best VPN for streaming using Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
- Excellent and ideal priced plan for long-term use.
- It comes with decent and stable speeds.
- Android App does not come with kill-switch functionality
IP Varnish is a US-based company that gained grounds in a short amount of time. It offers strict military-grade security with its 256-bit encryption. IP vanish allows manual OpenVPN, and it is also available as an Android App and browser extension.
The Fact IPvanish has a 1300 server coverage in 50 countries shows it isn’t widely distributed. However, it has an active customer support services of 24/7 live chat support, email, and searchable Knowledge-based support.
IPvanish does lack a Kill-switch option on its Android app. Privacy using IPvanish is quite messed up; although it has a no-log policy for online visits, it doesn’t offer an integrated bitcoin system for anonymous payment. With the use of IPvarnish you have access to use ten concurrent devices on just a single license.
IPvanish comes in handy if you wish to prevent third parties from spying on your online content. It gives experienced users the advantage of using OpenVPN connections without the need to run an Android App on Chromebook. Also, the VPN comes with a 7-day money-back guarantee, which is quite short.
- No logging policy.
- It has over 1200 servers present in over 60 countries.
- IPvarnish encourages P2P and torrenting.
- It guarantees better performance and speed enough to stream 8k video.
- Quite tough with security.
- The Bitcoin payment option is not available for anonymity.
- No kill-switch functionality present on the Android App.
Surfshark might not be the top best of all VPNs, but it’s sure able to deliver Above-average protection for your Chromebook. Now Surfshark is also limited to just a little over 500 servers in 50 countries but provides fast connection speeds within such areas. One thing pleasant with the Surfshark is their excellent customer service support, which includes 24/7 live chat support.
Despite its low server coverage, Surfshark was picked based on the presence of kill-switch protection on its Android App. It also comes in the form of a Google Chrome extension and allows manual configurations. This provider has a no-log policy to keep your private info safe and secure. It also comes with an integrated bitcoin system to make anonymous payments. It delivers top-notch military-grade security protection. Lastly, Surfshark is the only VPN on this list that allows unlimited concurrent connections on different devices.
With limited concurrent connections, this VPN allows a vast protection capacity for all your devices. Surfshark is widely known to provide a top-notch protected connection with its Kill-switch protection ability. It gives a 30-day money-back guarantee proving its reliability.
- Android App has kill-switch protection
- Supportive 24/7 live chat customer service.
- Top-notch privacy and global coverage.
- Only VPN that allows unlimited concurrent connections on this list.
- It comes with a No Logs policy.
- It features fantastic speeds.
- It allows for efficient streaming on Netflix.
- It comes with an unbelievable budget price.
- Allows secure and anonymous internet surfing.
- Manual Configurations not allowed.
How To Use A VPN on Chromebook?
Using a VPN on Chromebook comes in many ways, such as using a Google Chrome extension, installing an Android app, and through manual configuration. Of all the means Android app and manual configuration are the best options. Android app and manual configuration protect all the apps on the Chromebook. Protecting a Chromebook using a VPN requires you to keep to the following steps;
- You can start by creating a VPN login Network and then subscribe.
- You need to either install a chrome browser extension or Android app.
- Log in to your VPN
- Once this is then select the server, you wish to connect to.
- Then stay protected.
How does VPN Benefit Chromebook Users?
Among many other things using a VPN comes with a range of benefits. This includes;
- Security: If you are in the habit of doing business transactions online. You will come to terms with the use of a VPN as it offers a closed network. A network in which your data is encrypted and can be kept entirely confidential. When you use a VPN, you are keeping hackers at bay as they won’t be able to steal information from your network.
- Keeps you anonymous: A VPN hides your IP address and allows you access server sites undetected. It invariably acts as a mask allowing conduct your online business anonymously.
- Access to Geo-blocked sites: There are some basic websites limited to some regions and countries in the world. However, accessing these sites is easy once you change IP address using a paid VPN.
- Better Performance: Sometimes, connecting to some servers via VPN can improve speed and provide better performance without any intermediary break in server connection.
- Unrestrictive Internet Access: If you want to do business with a country with restrictive internet access or unfavorable internet policies. The use of a VPN will allow you access to a free network.
- Share Resources: The use of VPNs allows the sharing of data and information securely in a particular organization from one office to the other.
Are Free VPNs A Good Option For Chromebook?
When it comes to VPNs, there are free and also paid types you can use for your Chromebook, although both types aim at providing the best taste of security for its users. They, however, differ in the functionality they deliver. Free VPN, for instance, is limited to some services which a premium or paid VPN would provide. Also, some free VPN services have been found out to be malicious, and they spy on their user activity.
Most of the so-called free VPN services do not tunnel IPV6 and DNS traffic due to misconfigurations or developer-induced errors. Many of the “free” VPN providers get to pay their rent and utilities by tracking your data analytics and selling it to some agencies. Any VPN provider that promises you the best of unlimited free access to use their servers is entirely not telling the truth as they require sponsorship to maintain their server sites.
Free sites also come with the disadvantage of time and convenience. Due to their malicious activity, they sometimes slow your access to some websites and cost you extra on data costs. Many other ways free VPNs cheat their users is through activities such as redirecting websites without permission to malicious websites. No VPN provider is entirely free, therefore be careful of those who promise unlimited free access for an infinite amount of time.
Can your Chromebook Use VPN Android App?
A VPN will only protect your Chrome browser’s data from spy and not your entire Chromebook system. Your best take is to install the android app provided by the VPN provider. Although, not all versions of the Chromebook support Android apps. However, Chromebook that runs the recent release of Chrome OS or an open-source version of Chrome OS called Chromium OS can run android apps to protect all your activities online.
Every Chromebook user is well-advised to download a VPN app that keeps them risk-free from online monitoring activities. They also, by default, open up online content you are restricted to. This article itemizes some of the best VPN providers suitable for Chromebook users today. Do well to examine their functionality and subscription rate.